Northern Thailand
Now to get into the fun stuff, travel location suggestions! I really enjoyed Northern Thailand and felt like there were so many different hobbies, places to stay, and good food to eat!
Chiang Rai
I began my trip in Chiang Rai! I searched for a hostel on HotelWorld, it was nice but obviously not too memorable because I can't remember the name! I was only in the area for a couple days so I made the most of it by seeing all of the different temples. The easiest way of doing this is by booking a tour. These tours take you to all of the main temples and include lunch. The temples that I saw were Wat Rong Khun, The Golden Palace, Wat Rong Suea Ten, and Baan Dam. My personal favorite was the Wat Rong Khun temple. Every aspect of the temple was incredibly detailed and the inside was far more different than I expected. I don't want to give away too much, in case you plan to visit someday. They were all very incredible in their own way! Fun Fact of the day: it is considered rude to point your feet at a temple because the feet are considered unclean. Pointing the dirtest part of your body at a temple would be an insult to their culture. It is important to wear clothes that cover your shoulders or you won't be allowed inside. Also, it's best to wear shoes that are easy to take on and off. You aren't allowed to wear shoes inside the temple so you take them off outside and put them back on when you leave.
Wat Rong Suea Ten
Wat Rong Khun
I spent most of my time in Chiang Mai, Thailand. It's a super fun area with lots to do! I stayed in a few different places but my favorite was Bodega Hostel. Its a party hostel with comfortable beds, AC, amazing people, and a tour planned for each day. They had bar crawls each week also. You had to pay for it but it included a shirt, big fishbowl drink, and shuttles to each club. My favorite club was Zoe in Yellow. Its separated as if its two different bars with different music playing but close enough to walk between the two.
Bodega Hostel
One of the fun tours I did with the hostel was the Grand Canyon which was a water park. It was so much fun and hilarious to watch everyone slipping and sliding around! There was a blob there which was my first time trying one. I was always curious to try it but never had. Right at the end I wanted to get some serious air so I had three of the people working there send me flying.. safe to say I got lots of air!
Grand Canyon
One of the days I was staying at the hostels, I made two friends, one from London and the other from Melbourne. We wanted to walk around and explore the nature side of Chiang Mai. We hiked to the Huay Kaew Waterfall and Doi Pui View Point. Along the way we saw these super cute puppies snuggled in these blankets with food and water. It was sad to know they were stray dogs someone abondanded but we gave them some love and continued on our journey. At the view point there was a Thai family hanging out eating. Although there was a communication barrier, they had us join on in to enjoy food with them. They had all the supplies to make papaya salad from scratch. They went out of their way to make us a less spicy version to enjoy. We also were sharing sea snails with them. They are such a kind culture, always willing to help when needed and include you in their festivities.
Puppies Along the Way
Huay Kaew Waterfall
Before meeting those friends, I went to on my own. The first stop was to the Araksa Tea Plantation which was incredible to see all the beautiful green fields and to learn about the process to create tea. The next stop of the tour was the Long Neck Karen Tribe. They survive off of the tourist who visit and it felt that way so that took away from the ethiticity a bit but it was still very fascinating to learn about their tribe and traditions. The reason that the women wear all of the rings is because back in the day they used to have tigers and other dangerous animals visit their homes and those rings would prevent them from bleeding out if attacked. The women were considered more precious to the tribe because they were the ones continuing on the tribe's genetics. I ended the tour at this place that had a whole bunch of monkeys, cool sculptures, and a cave but I couldn't figure out what the place was called. I was looking at this big monkey, admiring how cool it looked and one of the people working there said, "Dont look into their eyes, they feel like you're challenging them." Of course he mentioned this after I was already looking into its soul.. good thing it didn't attack me!
Tea Plantation
I cannot stress this enough, if you are in Thailand, especially Chiang Mai then you have to check out the street markets. I remember the best ones being at night. There is so much to see, buy, and eat. I was curious to try the different bugs during my trip and must say that they weren't as bad as I imagined! When you go up to a stand you pick a bag of bugs and they wont tell you this but there's a spray bottle sitting on the table, that's soy sauce. You spray the bugs for better flavor. My personal favorite was the grasshoppers! They have really sticky legs that can get caught in your throat so you have to remember to rip the legs off before eating. My favorite food of all in Northern Thailand (and Northern Thailand only, you won't find it in Southern Thailand) is Khao Soi. It is a delicious, creamy curry that is to die for! The best post drinking meal you can have is what people call "toasties" at 7- Eleven. They have different sandwich choices to choose from. The person at the front will turn it into a melty, crunchy grilled cheese for you.
I planned to get a sak yant tattoo while in Thailand. A sak yant is a geometric design that include script, animals, or both. Each of these designs symbolizes different qualities. When the buddist or ajarn does a bamboo tattoo on you it is a blessing for what you are wanting out of life. I went into the shop I picked, Sak Yant Chiang Mai to ask them a few questions. The tattoo for me was more about the experience and meaning than showing it off so I asked them if I could shave the side of my head and put it there. They responded back with, "how good is your pain tolerance?" I have always been told I had a high pain tolerance and I told them that. They said that the side of the head works for getting tattooed but they might just have to modify the design to fit to the space. Off I went to get my head shaved! I found a shop that would do it for $10 and the lady was absolutely incredible. I wish I remembered the name of the place. It felt so nice to have the side shaved with how hot it was in Thailand. I went to the shop on my tattoo day and they were surprised to see that I actually shaved my head and am going ahead with it. They mentioned that they've only ever had monks heads tattooed, no foreigner has ever done it before. The ajarn that I was going to be tattooing me had been doing sak yants for 10 years and he was only 24 years old!! He free handed the three elephant heads with a marker and all the rest was done as he was tattooing. He didn't speak English so there was a Thai girl present to translate. The tattoo only took 45 minutes which was quick. It was pretty painful and gross sounding. The front and back felt like someone with claw nails was scratching a sunburn and the middle of the side of my head was gross because I could hear it puncturing my skin. There was an after tattoo ritual where he blesses you and the tattoo. My sak yant was Yant Chang Sam Sian Aok Suek which means 3 Headed Erawan Elephant Going to War. The meaning of it is kindness, compassion, protection, success, and great luck fulfilling dreams and wishes. Once you are done with the blessing then you head to a temple to pray and envision yourself fulfilling what the tattoo design stands for. I went to the temple Wat Phra Signh Woramahawihan which was a simple temple close enough to walk to. It was an incredible experience that will last a lifetime.
Haircut
The next day after getting my tattoo I headed off to the Elephant Sancuary to volunteer. They picked me up at my hostel and drove me there. During the time I was staying there I was in a cute little hut. There were showers/bathrooms everyone on the property shared. The showers didn't heat up so they were always freezing. I heavily suggest doing volunteer work instead of a day trip because you get so much more out of it. You don't only get to help the staff with the elephants but you get to truly delve into their culture. It was not cheap, the 4 days, 3 nights cost me $300 but it was worth it. The first day I was at the rescue there were no tours because it was supposed to rain so I had the whole day to hang out with the elephants and the crew with no other tourists around. They all lived on the property full time and only the one guy who owned the place and guided the tours spoke English. It didn't matter though because I always felt very included and he would translate conversations. They took me into town for dinner where this super sweet lady would teach me to make Thai meals. For breakfast and lunch they would give me food that they would eat and also the food the tourist would eat. I always loved the meals they made for themselves to eat but usually my mouth would be dying from spicyness. Since I was volunteering there I was able to get experiences that other people doing tours didn't get experience. Such as meeting the 2 new elephants they recently rescued that were only 2 years old. They called them the "naughty elephants." They were rescued from people who abused them and were trying to train them for the circus so they were still warming up to humans. They were still young which made them clumbsy.. you had to watch out because they would accidentally step on you or bump you over. I also got to go to the waterfall with one of the elephants. The elephant guide kept cutting down bamboo along the way and looking in it. I didn't understand why at first but then him and his daughter started shoving bamboo warms they found inside of the bamboo inside an empty water bottle. Later in the day when we made it back the ladies cooked them up and seasoned them. SO YUMMY! They tasted like cripsy chips. Elephants are incredibly smart, kind, and empathetic animals. It was an amazing experience working with them. I have so many stories that I could tell about my 4 days there. If there's any reason alone to visit Thailand, it's to volunteer with the elephant rescue.
Cooking lessons with a local
It's awesome and fascinating to hear so many stories of your time in Thailand, Taylor! I've never had the chance to go to Thailand myself though I've been to other countries throughout Asia. As I spent a lot of time in Vietnam during my travels, I can definitely see some similarities from Thailand that I also experienced in Vietnam. For example, there were markets in Vietnam that served insects just like the markets you mentioned in Thailand! Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to actually try the insects but now I am incredibly curious after reading your experiences about how yummy they can actually be. Overall, Thailand would definitely be a country that would be worth visiting for me after hearing all all the exciting stories you told!
ReplyDeleteHi Taylor! First of all, this photo is literally so beautiful! It seems like this was genuinely such a fun and beautiful experience that you had. It was interesting to see how they were selling different kinds of animals there, especially with the prices they were set at. This trip honestly sounds like it just got more and more crazy and fun! I would love to know what one of the most interesting or more surprising things were that you learned about while being there? After reading your blog post about this trip I would definitely consider going there to explore and experience, this really was a fun and interesting read of your journey.
ReplyDeleteHi Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog because it helped me learn about places I would like to visit. It also helped me discover places that I never knew existed! I really like all of the pictures you included, as they gave more insight as to what the travel life is like. This summer me and my family are planning a trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe. I am really excited to document our experience and possibly share it in a similar blog-style post. You look like you've had a great time on your adventures, so I encourage you to make it to as many places as possible!
Hi Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI have loved reading your past blogs about your trips you have taken. I think it is so cool how you look to stay at hostels when you travel out of the country. I have always wanted to stay at a hostel because I have heard you meet very interesting people and develop a lot of new friendships. Also it is so cool that you got a tattoo to commemorate your trip to Thailand. I would have been so scared to get a tattoo on my head and I would imagine the pain was unbearable. The Mo Paeng falls look beautiful and I would love to eventually travel there. One of my friends has a lot of family in Thailand and goes there about once a year. He tells me about how beautiful the nature is there and that I have to visit so I hope I can one day.